It's Later Than You Link

The New Academy has released a longlist for their Alternate Nobel Prizes, since the Nobels are such a fucking shitshow this year that they had to call the whole thing off.  I voted for Marilynne Robinson.  You should vote for somebody.

Tell me you're all listening to LeVar Burton Reads, right?  I'm not generally a huge fan of audio books, but I do listen to podcasts or sometimes audio books when I knit.  I missed this podcast until a few months ago - it's just LeVar Burton reading you a short story.  He also talks a little at the end about what he likes about the story, and I wish he'd extend that part because he's an interesting and clearly well-read guy and I want to hear him talk more about lit'ratuhr.  His voice is like a warm cabin on a cold night, and if you don't like one story, the next one will be different.

Cops are challenging summer reading books here in my state because evidently African-American high school students only find out that cops sometimes shoot black kids when they read The Hate U Give and not, say, from watching Michael Slager's first trial end in a mistrial even though we all saw the video where he shot Walter Scott in the back and then lied about it but what the fuck do I know about anything.

This is old but cool - the Smithsonian is trying to figure out how to describe old-book-smell.  They should also work on whatever that smell is at thrift stores and why it takes a couple washes to get rid of it.

Why aren't schools teaching black literature?  Well?  I was assigned two whole books by black authors in high school that I can recall (Their Eyes Were Watching God and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.)  That's pathetic.  Do better.



Comments

Popular Posts