Domestic what?

Somehow I missed this, probably because like every librarian I know I am incredibly far behind on that stack of Library Journals on my desk... but we have a new subgenre name, ladies!

You know those books where the cover is kinda blurry and the title is large, white, and sans serif?  Where the narrator is female and unreliable?  Where there's probably a big twist reveal somewhere in the middle?  Where somewhere on the print on either the front or back cover are the words "next Gone Girl"? 

Don't get me wrong, I stayed up till 2 AM with Gone Girl and I have a kid so that was an extra large book sacrifice.  It's just that it's one of those mini-genre trends that publishers like to brand alike not realizing that readers hate lookalike books.

You know what those books are now?  Domestic thrillers.

So, like, a thriller where the main character is female but not a detective or a spy or a witch or something but also she isn't just a nice person being chased with a knife.  That's a domestic thriller.

I will need some time to unpack that horseshit.


Comments

Popular Posts