Between 2 and 3

I didn't get nearly as much read between these two because Lonesome Dove right after SPQR was like a snake eating a golf ball.

Power Man and Iron Fist, Vol. 1: The Boys are Back in Town, written by David Walker and illustrated by Sanford Greene: I was told that this is a really fun version of these characters, and also Sanford Greene is a local.  (Mike Colter is also from here and is finer than frog hair, by the way.) I did enjoy it quite a bit but am not sure I feel the need to read any more.

SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome, by Mary Beard: Who doesn't love Mary Beard?  Not quite as page-turning-popular-history as I'd hoped for, but a great history of Rome written through the lens of expansion of citizenship.

Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry: I know this is an ultimate favorite of so many people; personally I'm still turning it over in my head and deciding what I feel about it.  I may do a longer piece on this one if I ever decide.  Short take: men are trash.

As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner: favorite Goodreads review - "THIS BOOK IS ABOUT HICKS THEY GO TO TOWN".  

Bingo Love, written by Tee Franklin, art by Jenn St-Onge: I struggled with my rating for this.  On the one hand, representation like whoa!  Elderly ladies of color who are lesbians!  (And although the story does cover their lives from teens through old age, I'll still count it as one of my precious "protagonist over 60" books because meaningful action does happen to the lead character when she's old, it isn't all reminiscing.  I'll do some posts about that accidental project soon.)  And I really enjoyed the art.  But on the other hand, the writing is kind of.... not great.  

What's everybody else reading?

Comments

Popular Posts