Between 1 and 2

It isn't instantaneous library loan!  Here's what I read in between my Persephones:


People Who Eat Darkness, by Richard Lloyd Parry: I expected to love it but I kind of just liked it.  I love great true crime but this is only fair to middling.

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, by Grace Lin: Enchanting children's book, just a tasty little snack.

When Breath Becomes Air, by Paul Kalanithi, not sure why I waited so long to finally read this one.  Yes, it's grim, but it's also beautiful.  I'd pair it with Atul Gawande's Being Mortal as a moving book by a physician about death and dying.

Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters, by Mallory Ortberg: A lot of fun but eventually too much of a sameness, a bit - perhaps should have doled it out over several sittings for maximum impact.

Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon: part of my "read more books about old ladies" initiative.  (Trust me, it is way harder than you're thinking it is, especially if you don't read a lot of cosy mysteries!)  This was fantastic - first contact space colony story about class, gender, all sorts of good stuff.  Highly recommended.

A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon: I read the first one of these as part of my Book Riot challenge last year, it was fun but a little amateurish.  The second one is much more polished and I liked it a great deal; I RFPed the rest at the library and look forward to reading them.  Fun popcorn LGBT mystery with romance elements (which are a bad decision and I am very disappointed in the protagonist because he's obviously just going to get his heart broken by this dude, ugh.)

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie McDonald: Read this to fulfill my Book Riot Oprah Book Club prompt.  It is dumb and exceedingly silly and it pissed me off.  And it does not have the mercy to be short.  No.

Anything Is Possible, by Elizabeth Strout: I'm of mixed feelings about this one.  It's interconnected vignettes about people who live in Buttfuck, Nowhere the heartland of America; I think I like it more having thought about it for awhile than I did while reading it.

The Prey of Gods, by Nicky Drayden: I think this has a lot of potential - it's a first novel and I enjoyed a lot of it.  It's about gods in a future South Africa, which is totally my jam.  Could stand a little polish  but I'd recommend it.

Unseen City: The Majesty of Pigeons, the Discreet Charm of Snails & Other Wonders of the Urban Wilderness, by Nathanael Johnson: Great little popular science book about the plants and animals you see every day but don't notice.  Did you know you can hear a snail chewing if you listen hard enough?

Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants, by Samuel Thayer: The previous book got me interested and now my husband despairs of me because I'm out in the yard eating weeds.  This is a much better book for that sort of thing than the usual spotter's guides because he only lists the plants he likes eating, as opposed to the plants he'd eat in case of zombie apocalypse.  Also he has an attitude about it which I always appreciate.

Amazon links are referral links

Comments

Popular Posts